Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Weeden Home/Naylor Sentenced


The Weeden Home

A Guest Commentary By

Bailey Quarters



If you ask me where I grew up, I would proudly say North Florence. I feel most who grew up in East Florence or Weeden Hts. would feel likewise. It was only a few months ago that the former superintendent of Florence City Schools wanted to change the name of Weeden School to Singing River. Why? She felt the name Weeden had become tainted in some way. I doubt that most people felt the same.

I see and hear that many people who grew up in the Shoals have never heard of Sweetwater Mansion. I believe most of these people have heard of the Weeden Home. I'm guessing the owner who lives in Atlanta or those who have control of it feel that Sweetwater sounds more elegant. Maybe it does, but it's still the Weeden Home to most of us who have grown up here.

I also notice that those organizing events at the former plantation have gone from charging $25.00 to $10.00 to asking for donations. That tells me most of the people who want to see "Sweetwater" have and won't be visitng a second time. How many more would come if it was advertised as the "Weeden Home?"

If their goal was to open a bed and breakfast by June this year, they aren't going to make it. They need help, and I feel advertising the property as the Weeden Home is a step in the right direction. Another thing that would help would be for them to make their finances public. I work hard for every penny I make and I would like to make sure the money those women collect is going where they say it is. I bet most people feel the same. They should think about it.

*****

Jason Bart Naylor has been sentenced to 25 years for the rape of a family member. He still faces an autumn trial for the rape of a second family member. Is there not a box for the jurors to tick that says "Under the Jail?"

Related posts:

Preying on His Own Family

Update

Naylor Down South

*****


Now, to our famous puzzle. The origin of the puzzle was known to us; it came from a trusted friend via a second trusted friend, but we didn't know what the box contained until we opened it. It was rather like Christmas in April.

We still haven't completed the dinosaur, but when we do, we'll publish a photo of the finished product--a product you as Alabama taxpayers helped pay for. Yes, the wonderful puzzle came from the production line of the National Alabama Corp. We understand these puzzles were practice for future work on rail cars--if any contracts ever come in.

Most of the puzzles were given to children of employees. We intend to keep ours for it is a remarkable piece of work. It is only a pity that it is all we have to show for almost one billion dollars.



Shoalanda