From a press release issued by the Burroughs campaign:
Sandra Killen Burroughs announced last week that she will be seeking the office of Mayor for the Town of Lexington. The election will be held on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 from 7am until 7pm. In order to vote in the municipal election you must be registered to vote and live inside the Lexington City Limits.
Sandra is a lifelong resident of Lexington, a graduate of Lexington School and received her Bachelor of Science Degree from the University of North Alabama with a double major in Management and Marketing. Sandra is married to Barry Burroughs and has one son, Hunter Killen, who is a senior at the University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa. Sandra is the daughter of Alice Killen and the late W.O. Killen, former Mayor of Lexington from 1984-1996. Sandra has one sister, Cindy Killen, from Birmingham, Alabama. Sandra has worked in the tourism field for the past 22 years with such companies as Marriott, Hilton, IHG Properties and currently serves as the Membership Director and Legislative Liaison with the Alabama Mountain Lakes Tourist Association. In this role with AMLA, Sandra works closely with our State Representatives, State Senators, and elected officials on all levels of the State and County.
Sandra has an extensive list of accomplishments to her credit:
* Vice President of the Alabama State Parks Partners Coalition
* Member of the Bear Creek Educational Center Steering Committee
* Member of the UNA Summer Theatre League Board of Directors
* Ex Officio member of the North Alabama Legislative Caucus
* Member of the Alabama Council of Association Executives
* CPR Certified EMT-D
* Past President of the Lexington Athletic Booster Club
* Past President of the Lexington School PTO Club
* Past Secretary/Treasurer Lexington Fire & Rescue Units
* 2001 “Outstanding Young Professional Woman of the Year” by Girl Scouts of North Alabama
* Past Secretary/Treasurer of the Decatur/Morgan County Hospitality Association
* Graduate of Dale Carnegie Leadership Training
* Awarded Convention South Magazines “Top Meeting Professional to Watch” in 2000, 2001 & 2004
* Graduate of Leadership Shoals sponsored by the Shoals Chamber of Commerce
* Past Chairperson for the Shoals Chamber of Commerce Leadership Shoals Program.
Sandra will be facing Tim Collier in the August election. Will it be a hard choice for Lexingtonians to make? It shouldn't be.
All the bloggers here care about the Shoals and Alabama. We care about you. Yet if you needed emergency surgery, there's not one here whom we would recommend to help you--none of us is a trained physician.
Mr. Collier may be, and from all reports is, a wonderful and caring person. Yet, he doesn't have the expertise to lead Lexington into a better world. Sandra Killen Burroughs does. Look at Sandra's list of accomplishments. She could have left Lexington long ago, but she decided to stay, to live her life in her hometown. Now she's willing to give of her time to put Lexington on the right track, to divest it of all the cronyism and shady deals that have plagued that small town in the past.
Sandra, we personally congratulate you and are proud to call you our dear friend!
(Note: You see we just called Sandra our friend. She is, and we believe in her. We expect you the voter to do your homework in this and all elections. We can suggest a candidate, but you ultimately have the responsibility to research those on the ballot and make an informed decision.)