Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Lauderdale District Judge? A Hard Decision


The Lauderdale County District Judge's race has been overshadowed by its sister contest in Colbert County, where it seems anything goes as far as campaigning. This is not a bad thing at one level, but perhaps many voters in Lauderdale County have not looked at this county's race with the thoroughness it deserves. Below is an updated profile of Democratic candidate John Odem:



* POSITION SOUGHT: Lauderdale County District Judge
* PARTY: Democratic
* AGE: 30
* OCCUPATION: Attorney
* RESIDENCE: Killen, Alabama


Q. WHAT IS THE KEY ISSUE IN YOUR CAMPAIGN?

A. Judicial campaigns are quite unique. All candidates must be attorneys in good standing with the State Bar Association and they must reside within Lauderdale County. The key issue for this campaign is who is the best candidate to serve the people of Lauderdale County as District Judge for the next six (6) years. I believe that candidate is me. I have the education and the background to fill this position. I have the experience necessary to render fair decisions in accordance with the laws of this state. I am old enough to know how to do the job and young enough to get the job done.

I will treat every party with fairness and impartiality according to the law. I will uphold the dignity of the court and continue bringing honor and justice to the courtroom. Decisions rendered by the court effect everyone involved. Every judge wishes to have the wisdom of Solomon and the patience of Job. When these characteristics fail to materialize, the judge must rely on good common sense and proper temperament. A judge must rule on the evidence presented and testimony of the witnesses. I will look for the truth. Sometimes the tongue lies, but the eyes do not.

Q. PLEASE EXPLAIN IN DETAIL THE MULTIPLE FUNCTIONS OF THE DISTRICT COURT. WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THIS SYSTEM IF ELECTED?

A. While there are three Circuit Judges in Lauderdale County there is only one District Judge. This judge is responsible for certain types of both criminal and civil cases. The District Court has jurisdiction over civil lawsuits up to $10,000.00. It also has jurisdiction over small claims disputes, also known as the people’s court, where citizens present disputes to the court without the assistance or expense of an attorney. As District Judge I promise never to be influenced by who their attorney may be or the fact that they have chosen to pursue their argument without counsel. Lawyers, money and politics will never effect my decision, only the evidence and the facts.

The District Court also has jurisdiction over all misdemeanor cases arising within the county. These cases include domestic violence, assault, misdemeanor drug possession, DUI, theft and criminal mischief. Although these crimes are simple misdemeanors they need to be dealt with using a firm hand of justice. I believe that domestic violence violators should be jailed. Particularly when women and children are involved. It has been my experience in District Court that counseling and court ordered programs have very limited success. Furthermore, DUI and misdemeanor drug offenders should be punished in accordance with the law. I believe in particularly firm treatment for habitual offenders. Everybody deserves a chance, however, jail is the only thing that will get some peoples attention. I promise to be firm, fair and consistent while hearing these cases.

It is essential that the District Court has a smooth working relationship with the clerk’s office, Sheriff’s Department, the office of the District attorney and State Troopers throughout the county. I will maintain a healthy relationship with these entities. If elected, I plan to meet with the heads of these departments to inform them of my procedural plans as well as open my door to suggestions and new ideas to make our system run more efficiently.

I work hard and I like staying busy. This job calls for proper temperament and good common sense. As Judge, I am prepared to hear the evidence, locate the problem and solve it. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. I will render nothing but fair and impartial decisions on each and every individual case.

Q. AS JUDGE WHAT OTHER PLANS DO YOU HAVE TO IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF LIFE IN OUR COMMUNITY?

A. I believe most of our legal problems start at home at an early age. As District Judge I will invite every Lauderdale County classroom, teacher and student to visit my courtroom and our county jail. I want our children to see the consequences of making poor decisions. My motto will be “Look Before you Leap.”

I have always been an advocate for Judge Jones’ program in which he assigns a portion of a state or county road to be kept clean by a person granted probation or a suspended sentence. I would like to incorporate this program into the District Court. If a person is found guilty of a crime but spared jail time, I think the proper punishment would be to have that person help keep the litter from the streets in the community where they live. This imposes punishment and allows for physical exercise. It is a win/win for the community.

I intend to follow the good examples of previous local judges such as Judge Tease, Judge Leslie Johnson, Judge Pasuer and Judge Carpenter, all of whom had limited experience and were about my age when elected. Experience does not determine success. After all, it was experienced ship builders that built the Titanic but amateurs that built the Arc. Sometimes proper inspiration and willingness to always do the right thing prevails.

Q. YOU STATED TO THE TIMES DAILY THAT YOU ARE NOT ASKING FOR CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS. WILL YOU EXPLAIN?

A. There’s no substitute for honest and integrity. Judges are in a unique position in our legal system. A judge’s decision must be fair, impartial and without outside influence. A judge must avoid even the appearance of impropriety. I feel it is beneath the dignity of the court for a judicial candidate to ask for campaign contributions. As Judge I will not be influenced by any person and will make all decisions in accordance with the evidence and the law. I simply will not open the door for some campaign contributors needing a favor to remind me of their past generosity.

John S. Odem

-()-

Both candidates in this primary are more than qualified. Florence Municipal Judge James Hall II has more experience, while Odem has an abundance of energy and enthusiasm on his side. In short, one cancels out the other.

While I personally support Judge Hall because of issues relating to the campaign that do not affect others, we here at Shoalanda do not feel that we can endorse one candidate over the other. We ask that voters in Lauderdale County research all issues and ask God's guidance in their selection of the next Lauderdale County District Judge.

*****

The Lauderdale County Commission has just recommended our friend Sandra Killen-Burroughs for the Florence-Lauderdale Tourist Board. Congratulations, Sandra!

We had announced several weeks ago that there would be big news coming from the eastern end of Lauderdale County, and this is it. We doubt that the Florence-Lauderdale Board could find anyone more qualified than Sandra. We trust her approval will be forthcoming shortly.


Shoalanda