Sunday, May 2, 2010

Ryan Clayton, Candidate for Alabama Senate Place 1


A word from Ryan Clayton, Democratic candidate for Alabama Senate Place 1. Clayton will face Tammy Irons in the primary in a bid to succeed retiring Sen. Bobby Denton (D).

I am running to be the Democratic Party’s candidate for Alabama State Senate, District One. I consider myself a Christian Conservative Democrat and in that order. My campaign has been grassroots at its foundation, but make no mistake that it has been a very powerful and wide-reaching effort. I see this campaign as an opportunity to bring new ideas and leadership to Montgomery.

If elected, I will work on bringing more of our tax dollars home for improvements to our infrastructure, schools, fire/rescue departments and local law enforcement. I will support state economic development efforts that create good-paying jobs for as many Alabamians as possible. I will work to place an emphasis and focus on our state education plan to update our schools and invest in good teachers. I will also use the experiences I have gained from my medical sales career to provide leadership to seek out innovative programs to solve Alabama's health care issues.

More importantly I think that it's critical that we change the direction of state government and begin forging a new path. I believe that an elected leader should first and foremost be a servant. Unfortunately, too many elected officials use their public office for personal and financial gain. We too often read news stories about their lack of integrity, fiscal irresponsibility, and unethical behavior. This is a chance for me to serve the community that has blessed me with opportunity and success. The people of the Shoals deserve legislators who will put the public trust ahead of personal ambitions. I want to work for the people of our district and have a positive impact on our community.


What's up with this: We had planned to take some photos of the new Florence fountain located just outside Legends Steakhouse; however, construction on the new Mobile Plaza paving project has already begun. In other words, it's not too attractive at the moment with all the loose concrete, saw horses, and other construction paraphernalia. We hope to bring you some pics of Andy Brown's masterpiece in the near future.

Shoalanda