Tuesday, May 26, 2015

A Letter Not One Official Answered




We often hear from friends that elected officials will not reply to their mail. Here's one such unanswered letter. We think it's a great one:

Begin forwarded message:
From: Lecia Ford <LeciaFord@rcmh.org>
Date: May 8, 2015 at 9:12:40 AM CDT
To: "tim.melson@alsenate.gov" <tim.melson@alsenate.gov>, "larry.stutts@alsenate.gov" <larry.stutts@alsenate.gov>, "phillip.pettus@alhouse.gov" <phillip.pettus@alhouse.gov>, "lynn.greer@alhouse.gov" <lynn.greer@alhouse.gov>, "marcel.black42@gmail.com" <marcel.black42@gmail.com>, "johnnymack.morrow@alhouse.gov" <johnnymack.morrow@alhouse.gov
Subject: Budget Cuts 
May 8, 2015

Dear Sirs:

My name is Lecia Ford and I am a lifelong resident of Colbert County.  My Father was a small business owner in Leighton, Alabama for 49 years, and at an early age, I learned the value of hard work, treating people with respect and dignity.

Though the years have passed, these everyday values have not.  I am sure you can relate to this.

I am currently in my 18th year with Riverbend Center for Mental Health.  Like any job, it can be stressful and at times, a grind.  The job, however, offers something special – the chance to help others, not justany others but people who truly need help.  We see and help a diverse group of clients. Some of their circumstances would break your heart.  If not for us they would be at a ‘dead end’.  We are the last resort for some of society’s most unfortunate members, through no fault of their own.  They have been cast into a world they neither asked for, nor understand.

Others may write to tell you the statistics on how much ‘we’ cost versus how much ‘we’ save; I can’t give you that.  I can tell you my Daddy taught me that what you put forth, comes back to you many times over.  My Daddy was a smart man – and I learned his lessons well.

I hear so much from politicians when they seek office about Christian values and our need for them in our government.  School prayer may be nice, but “Actions speak louder than words”, so let’s put our Christian values to work and look after the people Jesus had the most empathy for – the poor, the sick, the hurt, and most especially the Children!

I would offer suggestions like closing golf clubs, raising taxes, or cutting back on tax breaks to corporations, but I’ll leave this up to you to decide. I want you to spend one day at Riverbend and then ask yourself, “what is the right thing to do?”


Respectfully,
Lecia Ford
Admissions Clerical Supportsss
Riverbend Center for Mental Health

*****

No, not one reply. Our officials at work.



Shoalanda

No comments:

Post a Comment