Saturday, February 7, 2015

"Yolanda" Will Come Here to Marry Couples?

We read with interest the list of those ordained to marry in Alabama who will perform same-sex ceremonies in Colbert and Lauderdale Counties...

Let us digress here that one reader called us a choice name for even mentioning it. Needless to say she is now banned. Our publishing a list of those who will offer these rites is not an endorsement of such.

Back to Yolanda, it seems that "Yolanda" actually lives in New York. This is a link to his page:

We doubt he, or should we say she, will travel to Alabama to wed anyone without quite a large fee.


Who can perform marriage ceremonies in Alabama? From the Alabama Code:

Code of Alabama at 30-1-7

Persons authorized to solemnize marriages.

(a) Generally. Marriages may be solemnized by any licensed minister of the gospel in regular communion with the Christian church or society of which the minister is a member; by an active or retired judge of the Supreme Court, Court of Criminal Appeals, Court of Civil Appeals, any circuit court, or any district court within this state; by a judge of any federal court; or by an active or retired judge of probate.

Notice the Code says "may." It does not say it is required of him.


And just because we know someone will ask, no, Yolanda is not Shoalanda's sister.


No comments:

Post a Comment