Tuesday, May 6, 2014

It Was Described as "Horrific Assault"

The Thursday assault on a Brooks High 10th grader has been described as "horrific." According to one source, the victim required more than one surgery and was in ICU for two days. He is scheduled to be released today. The current charge against the alleged attacker is Second Degree Felony Assault; however, when presented to the grand jury, it could be elevated to First Degree.

Sadly, according to our sources, the attack could also be classified as Sexual Torture, although it was allegedly instigated for its brutality and not as a sex crime. It's extremely sad that our high schools are no longer safe. Only two weeks ago a young woman in another state was murdered on campus because she refused to attend the prom with a long-time friend.

We have to ask if this alleged attacker had not displayed some violent tendencies before? We have to ask how his parents have raised him? Yes, as our friend TBR says, it's not always the parents' fault, but more often than not, they have contributed by raising a child in an environment where he's always "right" no matter what. If a child can't handle disappointment in high school, how can he be expected to function in college or later the real world?


So, you have a sex offender in your neighborhood, along with about 37 of his closest relatives including children, living in a home built for a family of four? We can't promise our advice will rid your neighborhood of this pariah, but then again it might.

1. Call the owner of the rental home or write an anonymous note. Let him/her know how many are living in this house and make sure it's clear that one is a sex offender. This obviously won't work with some of the "slum lords" in the area, but you can try.

2. If there's illegal activity, call police. That includes parking on the wrong side of the street. Most towns frown upon this and will ticket those who do so. There are also noise ordinances. Make sure they're enforced. Similarly, you can call the building department if there is structural damage to the home or if the lawn becomes overgrown.

3. While not all sex offenders are prohibited from living with children, many are. Take photos and call the county probation office. If the the reporting officer is in another department, the probation office can tell you whom to contact. If you see children visiting this home, take photos if possible. Again, forward these to the appropriate officer to whom the offender reports. If there are no photos, it's his word against yours.

4. If your neighborhood didn't get the notice of the sex offender moving in, you can download one from the state site. Print enough copies to make sure everyone within several blocks receives one.


Rent from a slum lord, or have one who owns property in your otherwise nice neighborhood? Tell us about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment