Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Trains, Trains, Everywhere Trains


https://i.ytimg.com/vi/NhMLeSjzeVU/maxresdefault.jpg



This is a train story. Last Tuesday, I was coming into Muscle Shoals when I decided to go to Sheffield to pick up something I needed for the Ranch. As I was traveling on S. Atlanta Ave, in Sheffield, I soon saw that the tracks were blocked by a train. Turning left, I drove to S. Montgomery Ave and guess what? That’s right, the train blocked that intersection.

So, I really did not have a lot to do, so I pulled off the road and decided to see how long the tracks would be blocked. Flash forward an hour and 5 minutes later, and the intersection is still blocked. Okay, Norfolk Southern Railroad, this is ridiculous. What happens if there is an ambulance trying to cross the tracks en route to Keller Hospital? Finally, I just gave up and left Sheffield.

The next day, I am going to Keller Hospital for a Doctor’s appointment. As I got to the railroad tracks on Avalon in Muscle Shoals, it is blocked by a train sitting still. I did not have time to wait so I drove down to the 6th Street tracks. The end of the train was about 10 feet from the intersection. As I crossed the intersection, I thought that this intersection was almost blocked also.

I know that Colbert County Commissioner Tommy Barnes has been trying to get some kind of conclusion to the problem. I saw on Facebook, that David Johnson had watched the crossing at Douglas Street in Sheffield, where a train had it blocked for over an hour. Folks this is not just a Sheffield problem. This is a Sheffield, Tuscumbia, and Muscle Shoals problem.

I know we need the railroad to transport commerce. However, it seems that in the last year, the problem of crossings being blocked for an extended period of time has increased. What is the solution? I don’t know. But there needs to be some type of compromise. What if people stop coming to Sheffield or Muscle Shoals because of this. Revenue for the cities drops. 



https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesdaily.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/8/32/832777c9-c1ef-5f07-a538-d08fc2408b79/5968265a9a889.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C618

If you have an idea on how to fix this, contact your City Council Members or County Commissioners.




I Am and Always Will Be the Midnight Rider...


1 comment: