Saturday, January 16, 2016

Tony Cox/Two Very Different Habitat Volunteers


From Tony Cox, candidate for Lauderdale County License Commissioner:

Thanks for the opportunity to address you and your readership. The business of politics in general, and politicking in particular, is new to me.  It is refreshing to actually have someone pointedly ask for a statement on my qualifications.


I was born and raised in Lauderdale County, and am 48 years old.  Married  to Sarah (Phillips) Cox for 26 years.  Sarah has taught at Lauderdale County High since 1998. Two children: Ethan (20)  jr at the University of Alabama, and Madeline (16) is a jr at Lauderdale County High School.  I am a member of the Killen Church of Christ.


I am currently in my 25th year of public service in Alabama. I am very proud to have served as a teacher and coach in the Florence City School system since 1995. I graduated from Waterloo High School in 1985, then from UNA in 1989.  I received Traffic Safety Certification from the University of Montevallo, and my Master’s Degree in Administration from UNA in 1999.  I was the head Baseball Coach at Coffee High School, and currently teach at Florence High.  With the consolidation of the city schools, I pursued an after school vocation on the water, receiving my USCG Captain’s license in 2005.


For the past 25 years, I have taught licensing, tags, and registration. I have dealt with the public in schools, on ballfields, and on the water.  Throughout my career, I have continued to seek advanced degrees while serving the public.  I feel this experience qualifies me to learn the intricacies required of the position, to stay abreast of the impacts of legislative mandates, and to use my experience as an educator and leader to help the people of Lauderdale County stay ahead of changes in licensing and registration.


My goal for the office is simple:  

I want you to be able to get exactly what you need, as quickly as possible.


I am interested in the idea of expansion of services county wide, as with satellite offices and local municipal kiosks, but will reserve any commitment until results are seen from a cost/benefit analysis of the first kiosk, only recently opened in Rogersville.


Again, I  thank you for the opportunity to explain my qualifications and interest in this position.  
Please contact me if I can do anything to help you,  and I hope to be able to do so soon as your next License Commissioner.


Tony Cox

*****


Torbert
We couldn't help being struck by the fact that missing Marine Capt. Steven Torbert had, as a youth, used his free time to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. What young man doesn't prefer carpentry to having fun? No, Steven was an exceptional young teenager to say the least.

Then we remembered John Wesley Akin, now serving 20 years for heroin trafficking in the Limestone Correctional Facility. What different paths these two young men took.

Please continue to pray for the Torbert family.



Shoalanda

No comments:

Post a Comment