Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Those We Lost in 2009 - Part I


We lost two wonderful individuals from Lexington:


W. O. Killen

W.O. Killen was a great and wonderful husband, father, grandfather (papaw), father-in-law, uncle, brother, son, and friend. His love for his family and his church (Mary's Chapel Church of the Nazarene, Lexington, Alabama) was obvious in everything he did in life. As a business owner/operator (Valley Crane Service in Decatur, Alabama, and then in Muscle Shoals, Alabama), he worked many hours a week to provide for his family.

One of the greatest joys in his life was being the mayor of Lexington, Alabama, a job enjoyed from 1984 until 1996. The accomplishments he achieved while in office were plenty. Some of these accomplishments went unnoticed until he was out of office. The town of Lexington was lucky to have a man like W.O. Killen as their leader for 12 years.

We miss you Daddy!

Sandra Killen-Burroughs

*****

Mike Nix

I met Mike Nix three times--each time when he came by to see me at work. Each time he asked me to church with him at the Lexington Church of Christ, and each time I refused due to other commitments. I didn't know who he was the first time I met him, but I realized later that I knew his wonderful mother--who had obviously sent him. The last time he visited, he said that if I ever needed anything, I could count on him; and I'm sure that I could have. I regret that I did not have the chance to know him better.

Mike was voted Music Educator of the Year for Alabama in 2009, an honor he received shortly before he lost his battle to cancer. Lauderdale County schools were much the better for having Mike Nix as Director of Music Education for 32 years. My sincerest sympathies to his family.

Nurse Nan