Monday, August 1, 2011

The Sweetwater Mansion Debacle - Part IV


The Sweetwater Mansion Debacle - Part IV


A Guest Commentary By

Sarah Savant

Things actually went very well for the living history event, and some of us decided to spend the night at Sweetwater. There were only volunteers present, and we were having fun playing with some of the ghost hunting equipment. At least it was fun until two of the committee members got into an argument that turned nasty very quickly.

One of the two involved was my friend who had helped me with Sweetwater's history. She resigned the next morning and most of us were extremely upset. We thought that Cynthia Johnson as director should do something about it. Instead, Cynthia acted as if nothing odd or out of the way had happened. I then decided to distance myself from the project, only dropping by if someone I knew well was going to be there.

Some time later I received a phone call from this friend who had been "thrown under the bus." She had heard that someone was taking up money for Sweetwater at First Fridays and asked that I go with her to the next event and see what we could find out. Before we could go, I heard that Cynthia was accusing me and still another former committee member of being the ones who were collecting the funds. I decided to call Cynthia to ask why she was accusing us. She told me she had received a description of the pair and they sounded much like my male friend and me.

I still love Sweetwater and want it to be restored. I don't know what it will take, but I honestly and sincerely believe that Cynthia Johnson is holding the project back. Volunteers don't stay long and no real work is ever done. If exposing what is really going on at Sweetwater will help, I feel that I have finally accomplished something.

*****

This concludes "Sarah's" account of her experiences volunteering for Sweetwater. We want to commend her for her attempts to help the once great mansion and her coming forward to reveal the truth about the supposed restoration.

Tomorrow we'll have some questions, answers, and other comments about the events that have taken place over the past two years at Sweetwater. Please feel free to send us any questions you may have.



Shoalanda