Thursday, March 4, 2010

Hospice Hijinks: Fasten Your Seatbelts


The following column is one of a series that we will be publishing at random intervals over the next few weeks/months. At this time, we are censoring the names of the Shoals area hospice, as well as those of the author and recipient of the e-mails. All censored names will be replaced with five x's.

It is our understanding that various lawsuits, including one for sexual harassment, have been filed against this company; however, while this is public information for those who might wish to search courthouse records, most of what we will be publishing has not yet been seen in the media. Kudos to the victim in this case for coming forward...


Victim:

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:27:45 -0800
From: XXXXX
Subject: XXXXX
To: XXXXX

February 27, 2008
XXXXX,
I don't know what all XXXXX has told you as to why I quit working for XXXXX. I'm pretty sure he hasn't been completely honest with you, which is why I am emailing you.
I applied for my unemployment after I quit. I received a letter today stating that XXXXX denied my benefits for the following reasons: "You left your last bona fide work with XXXXX voluntarily for reasons you would not discuss. In the absence of any additional information from you, it is determined your leaving work was without good cause connected to work." Of course this statement is untrue because XXXXX knows exactly why I quit my job. I have proof that XXXXX was fully aware of my reasons.
Before I get started, XXXXX, I just want to say that I used to LOVE my job. I worked very hard for your company. I even took work home with me all the time. XXXXX became my life, my family. Ten months ago that changed dramatically. I really think you need to know this. You need to ask XXXXX the truth about what really happened between me and him. And also what has happened between him and a couple more girls at that office. Although I don't think he will be completely honest with you, but I am going to tell you what happened to me.
I had a meeting with XXXXX one night over drinks at Applebees about 10 months ago to discuss the OIG reports. He was already three sheets in the wind by the time I got there. I also discussed with him my concerns (again) about the nursing home billing. He told me that he wasn't worried about it. I asked him what was he going to do if & when they audited us. He told me he would play dumb and get a loan to pay them off. I got frustrated. He would not listen to me, as usual. It was getting late & I was gathering my things to leave. He leaned over and kissed me. When he did, I stood up and I told him that he should not have done that and that would cause a lot of problems. I knew he was drunk and I was willing to let it slide. I told him that it would be a terrible mistake and that it wasn't going to happen. I told him NO. He leaned back in his seat, crossed his arms and said, "So....you don't work for me no more then.". I couldn't believe he said that to me. I asked him what the hell he meant by that. And he proceeded to tell me that if I didn't have sex with him, I wouldn't have a job. I got so angry. And I cussed him right there in the bar. I have witnesses. It made quite a scene. He chased me down in the parking lot and tried talking to me. He asked me to wait on him while he went in to pay his tab so we could talk about this. As soon as he went in I got in my car & went home. I was so upset I called XXXXX crying. I told her I wasn't coming back to work. While I was on the phone with her, XXXXX knocked on my door. Yes, he came to my apartment. My friend that lived in the apt beside me is a witness to this. XXXXX accidentally went to his apartment first. XXXXX heard everything that was said & went on while he was there. I told him I wouldn't be back to work. He promised me that I would make more money than ever in my life and I would 'have it made'. Next thing I knew he was on top of me. I don't think I have to tell you what happened next. When he was done, all he was talking about was you. He was scared of you finding out. He said you would kill him. And of course he talked about being scared of a lawsuit. I kicked him out of my apartment & told him not to expect me back at work. The next day he called me apologizing and asked me to please come back. He valued me as an employee and didn't want to lose me. So I came back. And it happened more than once.
I lost respect for him after that. I felt trapped. I didn't know what to do. I have two small kids. I couldn't afford to lose my job. So I stayed. But I wasn't happy. I was very uncomfortable. Unlike another certain employee, I never used it to my advantage. In fact I was damn right ashamed of it. For a while, after he got married, the advances stopped. I quit because there was another incident. He started making advances again. I had to leave.
I could've filed a lawsuit against him and the company. But I just wanted to put it behind me and move on with my life.
What would it have hurt y'all to approve my unemployment? I have two small children to support. Now I'm being forced to take actions. I am appealling my unemployment benefits. And I will have an EEOC representative with me. And if I have to XXXXX, I will subpoena all of my witnesses.
I think it's pretty sorry of him and XXXXX to treat me this way. Even after I quit, I returned to that office to help you guys out several times. I didn't want to come back into that office, but I did. Not to mention I have spent the last three years of my life working my butt off for XXXXX.
XXXXX, I never wanted it to come to this. You have no idea how bad this has affected me personally. It has almost killed me. Literally. I've cried for weeks straight. I lost 10 pounds. I had a nervous breakdown. He has came by my apartment many many times. If you don't believe me, check with the Florence Police Dept. I had to call the law on him because he harassed me for four hours straight in one night. This was recently. A coulple of weeks ago. Of course he had been seen out drinking that night by several people. He even left letters on my car and my apartment complex has surveillance videos. It's all on tape. I did file a police report. If you would like, I can give you a copy of the report. I could've had him arressted, but I asked the officers to just make him leave me alone. He's not allowed back in that Apartment Complex.
I know I'm not perfect, but I am a good person. I would not have just up and quit such a good paying job for no reason. I don't deserve the way I have been treated. And this is just one story of many.
XXXXX

Company Official:

From: XXXXX
To: XXXXX, XXXX
Sent: Thu, February 28, 2008 5:22:39 PM
Subject: XXXXX

XXXXX,

To my knowledge we have not taken any action to block your unemployment benefits. If there are any clerical errors, we can submit paperwork to correct it. I wish you well in your future career, and hope that we can part as friends.

XXXXX


Victim:

Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 12:54:00 -0700
From: XXXXX
Subject: My Unemployment
To: XXXXX

Dear XXXXX,
I received a letter from the Unemployment Dept. of AL stating that XXXXX has appealed my unemployment benefits, yet again. I have a very good attorney in Birmingham who is aggressively pursuing me to file a sexual harassment lawsuit against XXXXX and XXXXX. I have just about decided to act upon his advice. XXXXX, If I have to I WILL pursue it vigorously. I would think that you are smart enough to avoid this type of humiliation. So your quick attention in this matter to correct this to the Unemployment Dept. would be in the best interest for both of us.
Sincerely,
XXXXX

Company Official:

From: XXXXX
To: XXXXX. XXXXX
Sent: Thu, May 15, 2008 8:50:08 AM
Subject: RE: My Unemployment

XXXXX,

I am not directly involved in this process. However, XXXXX has told me that if you change your reason for filing benefits to" downsizing" or "layoff" then we would see to it that you get your benefits.

XXXXX


If there should be others out there who have had this type of problem, please contact us.

Shoalanda