Monday, April 20, 2009

A Message from a Veteran


We recently published a column on retired U.S. Army Major Euell T. White. Maj. White has been kind enough to write a guest blog for us, and while not strictly about the Shoals, we hope you will enjoy it. We live in a wonderful country, the greatest country in the world. Yet our country does not always support its veterans, either in the way it should or even in the manner it has promised. Think about it.


A RIGHT WING EXTREMIST

After serving my country faithfully as a soldier for 21 years, and shedding some of my blood in the process, I have just learned that because of my service in the military, I am considered by the department of Homeland Security’s Office of Intelligence and Analysis, a potential threat to our national security. Their recent report warns that veterans who oppose government restrictions on the constitutional right to bear arms are potentially right-wing extremists, and I am opposed to such restrictions. The report also warns that those who are against illegal immigration are potential threats. I believe that all of our laws should be based on the constitution and should be enforced, including the immigration laws. Since my retirement from the army, I have been active in Christian service, but that doesn’t redeem me. In fact, it only increases the level of the potential threat that I am considered to be. According to The Department of Homeland Security (DHS), those of us who oppose abortion are potential threats to national security. I have been an outspoken advocate for the right to life and consider the killing of unborn children murder. I suppose the veterans who are now engaged in combat will be monitored closely when they return home. It is amazing that President Obama’s mentor, William Ayers, the unrepentant leader of the Weathermen underground organization that promoted armed violence against our government, and carried out bombings that resulted in the deaths of innocent citizens, is not considered a threat to our national security, but our veterans returning home from war are.

Euell T. White. Major, Army Retired

419 West Lakeside Drive

Florence, AL 35630

(256)766-7216