Monday, June 20, 2022

Open Letter to the Citizens of Colbert County

 

From Mary Baschab-Haslacker -


With the Run-Off Election tomorrow, I would like to share my thoughts as I reflect over the path of my campaign over the last two years.

Why did I decide to run for District Court Judge?  Every decision I make is based on my faith in God and with full knowledge that my decisions will impact my family, friends, and my community.

 

Some of the things my supporters, family, and I have done:

I came to meet you at your workplace, personally visiting more than 500 businesses.

I wrote introduction letters to 1,000 businesses.

We visited your homes, knocking on over 6,000 doors.

I spoke to nearly every union hall.

I visited every shift of every police department and the sheriff’s department.

I visited every fire department.

I visited utility, water, and streets and sanitation departments.

I visited all of the senior centers, visiting with our county’s treasured elders.

I designed and sent out three different mailers to every household in the county.  Tens of thousands of them were hand sorted and delivered to the post offices by me and my family and supporters.

We put out thousands of signs.

I attended dozens of community events alone and with supporters and family members.

I met you  in restaurants, gas stations, store fronts, and on the street.  

We distributed one hundred T-shirts and tens of thousands of handouts and cards.

We called thousands of homes.

We filmed and shared numerous videos, including a tour of our home farm in Cherokee.

I hosted a hot-dog lunch in Ford City and a “meet the candidate” event in Sheffield.

I prepared for and participated in two open candidate forums.

I wrote numerous news releases and had dozens of newspaper ads with testimonies from supporters and produced numerous radio spots.

 

During all this time, I continued to work at my Muscle Shoals law office, attended court, served my clients, while also serving as town attorney for Cherokee and town attorney and prosecutor for Leighton.

I tucked my four children in bed every night after family prayers with them and my husband.  My husband and I have taken on significant personal debt to fund my campaign. We did that so that my debt will be to NO ONE that appears before me in the court and so that no one can question the integrity of my decisions.  

 

“Thank You” to my many supporters and new friends I have made in Colbert County over the past two years.  When I began this campaign, many of you did not know me, though my family has been in Margerum for almost 200 years.  I have an impossible last name, though Mary is easy enough.  I had a lot to overcome, but your encouragement and our hard work together has brought us to a run-off election.    

 

We face a crucial time in our county and in our country.  Many of us have lost faith in our government.  We want something to believe in again.  We want to be able to believe in our courts.  I am the People’s Candidate, because my promise is to do nothing in the backroom; to be open, honest, and fair; and to value and respect your time, your cases, and your lives. 

You have only ONE CHANCE to select a judge; Election Day.  Please elect a judge who does not  appear to owe any debt to business or special interest contributors.   Please elect a judge who can and will be fair.  Please elect a Judge whose fairness cannot be questioned.  I prayerfully ask for your vote on June 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment