Monday, July 8, 2019

Tales of Two Tainted Eateries


No, this doesn't belong in Quad-Cities Cuisine; this blog relates tales of two local food establishments treating customers badly. First, a story you may have already seen on Facebook:

So I’ve been debating if I should post this or not, last Thursday night me and a group of friends went to eat at Umi in Florence after work. I paid for my meal with my debit card and we left a cash tip. I check my bank account every day so I just happened to pull it up and she I had a charge for $31.85 from Umi, my total was $21.85, I am notorious for just signing my name and going on about my business. Well to make a long story short the waiter we had decided to give himself a $10 dollar tip on my card! Lesson learned to always mark thru the empty tip space or leave zeros or something. I’ve called Umi and they still have no refunded my money! 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ Big difference in my signature and the writing for the numbers if u ask me!



Who done it? Was it the server? We've seen managers perform this little slight of pen; the server never knows, and the manager pockets the extra cash. Luckily this lady was aware of what happened and put the kibosh on it.

Next, a tale from another reader: 

My mom and Dad are in their early 80s. They eat lunch at the Shoney's in Muscle Shoals, AL every Sunday due to it having a 'Bteakfast Bar'. They have been doing this for several years without incident; until today.

Today, my dad went up to the breakfast bar to get eggs. This was at about 11:40am. There were none to be had. There was bacon, sausage, etc, but no eggs. He inquired about more eggs from a waitress and was informed that no more eggs would be put out because they were changing their serving times. The waitress asked him if he would like to order eggs from the kitchen. He ordered 2 and returned to sit with my mom.

A few minutes later the eggs arrived, followed by a white, middle-aged male claiming to be the Manager. The manager asked my dad why he was causing problems, then told my dad he could leave if he didn't like the service. My dad said there was no problem and he just wanted to finish his meal in peace. The manager kept pressing the issue, to the point that my dad informed him that he was going to call corporate and lodge a complaint. At this point the manager told my dad to leave or he was calling the police. The manager then left the dining area. 

When my dad went to check out, the hostess and waitresses apologized for everything. My dad stated that he would be filing a complaint. The hostess provided him with a 1-800 number and my parents left the building.

As my parents were returning to their car, the manager ran out after them, yelling that they were trespassing and my dad would be arrested. My dad, a Vietnam veteran, turned and went back to the door of the restaurant and informed the employees at the register that the manager had followed them into the parking lot and was threatening them. At this point the manager screamed for my dad to leave or he was calling the police.

My dad is very upset over this incident. I would like to think that this was an isolated incident and not indicative of Shoney's policies.


The Latest in Downtown Frog Pond

1 comment:

  1. Oh man....this story makes me want to go confront the dirtbag manger at Shoney’s on behalf of those seniors who had to endure his disrespect

    ReplyDelete