Thursday, August 23, 2018

A Little Advice from Rusty


For 50 years, I worked every day without any thanks. Nor did I get attention, maintenance or appreciation for the thankless work I did. Like a worn out old shoe, I find that Superintendent Lindsey thinks I have come to the end of my usefulness, only to be publicly ridiculed for my failing health and inability to continue to be the unappreciated servant I have been for over 50 years at Highland Park Elementary School.

My once hard as steel body has worn down from excessive abuse and no attention. I now struggle to keep my self respect as Brian Lindsey drags me around making me the spectacle of the community.
 

I worry about my family that still works unappreciated, unattended, and never maintained. My cousin Filtera that keeps the air conditioner cooling, or Fibrene who is strung through the walls keeping the lights on, and little Piper that is choking on the corrosion building up inside him as he tries to not be the next victim ripped out, only to be ridiculed in the next campaign for more money.
 

I am not going to be thrown in a pile of rust to be taken to a dump. I am standing up and celebrating my rust. Yes - This once strong shiny steel body was buried in a hole and abandoned to survive without any regards or consideration, but will not go down without a fight!
 

I watched Lindsey spend millions of dollars on an athletic facility and a track. I only wanted an occasional cleaning, and I heard people say they only wanted to walk on that track. Neither of those would cost anything - but he refused.

I heard Brian Lindsey has other things more important than taking care of me. Things like being chairman of the personnel committee at his church. He is an important man, doing all that stuff, but I think those little children I love so much are more important.

I heard Brian Lindsey makes up more jobs in the schools for the people at his church. This school year while he was yanking me out of the ground, I heard about a new employee coming to Highland Park. I heard them say it is the wife of the new youth minister at his church. I wish he would take care of the building and the children before he does favors for his buddies with your money.


Lindsey may have thrown me in a corner waiting till the next time he wants to show off my worn out body so he can get more money, but I'm not dead! I heard him hire the wife of his preacher for some kind of job like music appreciation. I can't say for sure, but I think they said she really doesn't have a music or education degree, but she is married to his preacher and she might sing in the choir, so I guess that is important. Or, at least it seems to be more important to him than keeping the buildings in good shape for the children. 


I may not be shiny any more, have a lot of rust and holes, and I can be replaced, but it is going to cost a whole heap of a lot more money than it would if he had just taken a little time and attention to me every so often to keep me in working order. Older schools in our area pay attention to their workers - I know, because my other relatives work there. Some of them have been serving those schools for over 100 years, so I guess I can be called a young whipper snapper, just worn down before my time. 

Muscle Shoals, you will never learn. Just keep on sending the money. They like it like that.


For now,


Rusty


*****

The above "Advice from Rusty" was sent to us by Rusty's agent, and we can take no credit for it. Now here's an interesting take on the upcoming tax election from a Florence resident:

This story was handed down in my family about my third great-grandfather. In the 1770s, he and a friend hid under the porch of a home in Sussex County, Virginia, and watched from behind the lattice work as enemy soldiers marched by. Ephraim was fascinated by the red uniforms, but didn't dare call attention to himself since he'd been told the British troops killed, cooked, and ate children of the colonists. Yes, the enemy are always devils.

Now I see where the wife of one of the principal actors on the "Yes" side of the Muscle Shoals tax vote has said those opposed are of the devil. Really? While I don't live in Muscle Shoals, I've always been taught that Christians are good stewards with money, especially other people's money. Has your good Dr. Lindsey been a proper steward?

Those voting no are no more devils than were the British troops my ancestor was so afraid of. They've cited real figures and not played to emotions. How dare you call them devils?






No comments:

Post a Comment