Saturday, January 19, 2019

"I've Been Robbed!"


QUICK, call the police, I’VE BEEN ROBBED!

I was simply going through my morning routine. Drinking my coffee, checking my email, bank statement and reading the online version of the Times Daily. I see a headline that at first I thought may have been a typo proclaiming Florence had raised their sales tax. I read the article, written in the usual “Where’s Waldo” style of information that the TD is famous for, and only gathered that a 1% sales tax had been passed by the Florence City council in the meeting the night before. It stated the tax raise was to supplement the salaries of firefighters and policemen in the city, that there was a standing ovation, a couple of folks “kind of” suggested that the vote be delayed due to one of the councilpersons not being there, but generally was passed with much praise and agreement.




One thing I found out, after Comcast “supposedly” dropped the broadcast of the city council meetings, is you can join the city FB group and get a live streaming version online. (This is not well publicized):


So, I viewed the video to see if I had missed some kind of discussion or input from the public before this tax was passed. What I saw seemed like a hostage situation where it looked like the entire force of the police and firefighters in the city of Florence were crammed into a room demanding a pay raise. It was certainly a show of force.

There were a few folks; Dr. Barry Morris was one, who were somehow clairvoyant enough to know this tax was on the agenda and voiced their opposition and concern. Mainly, the concerns were the suddenness of this vote and lack of transparency. It WAS mentioned that one of the councilpersons was not there but that was a plea to table this vote until the next meeting. The city was not going to do it. They needed to vote and vote NOW!

Complaints from Florence police and firefighters about pay have been made since I can remember. I am 65 years old, but this vote COULD not wait! WHY???? No reasons given by the councilpersons attending, no explanation of how the money would be distributed. ONLY, that the raise in taxes would produce approximately 9 million dollars ANNUALLY for salaries and OTHER PURPOSES? WHAT OTHER PURPOSES? Aren’t there several being juggled right now?

I finished watching this meeting feeling like I had been the victim of a robbery. Actually, I WAS! BUT, who do I call???? The Florence police?



1 comment:

  1. I drove past the meeting and there was about 10 FPD cars and LC cars parked outside. Who was fighting crime at that time? Not the police.

    ReplyDelete