Friday, October 31, 2008

Samhain


While many aspects of our Halloween holiday are pagan in origin, contrary to many recent reports, Samhain was not the Celtic god of the dead. The Celts did worship many gods, including a god of the dead/underworld; however, Samhain was a season of change and prelude to winter and the new year.

So, for all of us Celts (Irish/Scots/Welsh), today marks the end of an old year. In fact, for many centuries the Gaelic word for the eleventh month has been Samhain. Have a safe, happy, and prosperous Celtic New Year!


What's up with this: Does the TimesDaily actually think their new computer column penned by a syndicated geek is an improvement over that of local techie Jim Fisher?

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I've always wondered which Shoals person read my column. Now I know!

    Thank you for the kudos - I think. ;)

    Just to set the record straight: The TD put my column "on hold" until I regain my sanity or complete my sentence as an elected official - whichever comes first.

    I sure do miss writing it but, unfortunately, the editor's policy dictates that I can't be a politician and a columnist at the same time.

    ReplyDelete