Monday, June 22, 2009

Exclusive Interview with Cousin of Murder Victim Mason Scott


We recently sat down with Laura Nelson*, a Scott family cousin, and asked her opinion on the circumstances surrounding the death of six year-old Mason Scott and the subsequent arrest of his mother Christie Bray Scott.

SS: I understand you're a cousin to Christie Bray Scott?

LN: No, actually I'm a cousin to Jeremy and Patrick's mother.

SS. Patrick was Jeremy's older brother? How did he die?

LN: It happened about nine or ten years ago. He had just gotten into a truck with some boys just north of Russellville when the vehicle flipped and ejected Patrick. I think he was killed instantly. It was sad since I was always much closer to Patrick than Jeremy. Jeremy was always the remote one. He never seemed to change facial expressions, even before Patrick and Mason's death. Now I never see him smile.

SS: Do you think he may have Asperger's or something similar? I know it can be hereditary.

LN: I don't know. I've never really thought about it, but he's completely different from the rest of his family.

SS: How did Jeremy and Michelle meet? I've heard they were high school sweethearts, but I know Jeremy is from Russellville and Christie is from Haleyville.

LN: I really don't know about that either. Jeremy's parents, Nell and Dale, live in the Crooked Oak community. Nell teaches handicapped children at Phil Campbell, and Dale was a truck driver until about a year ago when he retired in bad health. I understand the Bray family has quite a bit more money than Jeremy's, so I'm not sure how they got together.

SS: Christie is an only child?

LN: Oh, no. She has a sister and a brother and a little sister that died when a car rolled over her. Someone, don't know who, left the car in gear and the child was killed.

SS: Do you think her sister's death affected Christie? I mean in a way that could have altered her perception of reality?

LN: I don't know about that, but she's never seemed just right to me. She's always been distant and like she was in her own little world.

SS: Where is Jeremy living now?

LN: Sometimes he and Noah Riley (his younger son) live with Nell and Dale; other times they live with the Brays. It seems he aligned himself with the Bray family. I've heard Don has had a stroke since all this started and he's determined to keep Noah Riley close. They bought houses in Hartselle and plan on moving there when this is all finished.

SS: Two houses?

LN: Yes, one for the Bray family and one for Jeremy and his family, whatever that turns out to be.

SS: Have you been to visit Christie?

LN: I haven't, but Jeremy and his father-in-law Don Bray take all the girls food. They have to do it that way. They can't take food just to Christie without taking it to the other female inmates as well. When Christie's grandmother died a little while ago, the Woodmen of the World took trays of food to the jail for Christie and the others after the funeral. I assume that's how she's kept her weight up. I know jail food is terrible.

SS: I understand you've been at the trial as much as possible. Do you have any opinions or other info you could share with us?

LN: Well, I think she may get off. They're not paying Tuten (Christie's defense attorney) $300,000.00 for nothing.

SS: You know for a fact that 300K is his fee?

LN: Not for a fact. It's just everyone has talked about how much money Don and Kathy are having to pay out to keep Christie out of prison. So, yes, I can see her walking.

SS: Will you be testifying?

LN: No, I couldn't be talking with you if I were to testify. Some of the other cousins are. Maybe that's why Jeremy doesn't act the same around any of us anymore. There were blisters on the bottom of Noah Riley's feet after the fire. Christie said they were from walking on gravel, but the ones in my family that saw them say they were definitely burn blisters. I don't think anyone had a doctor look at them, but I'm not sure.

SS: You say she might get off. Do you think she did it?

LN: Oh, yes. She's as guilty as hell.

* Name has been changed to ensure privacy (Photo by Matt McKean)


Tomorrow: Florence's Brad Holmes announces his candidacy for District I state representative.