Friday, November 28, 2008

Dollar Tree "Helping" the Salvation Army


Like many others, I ventured out today, but only to do necessary shopping. As I checked out of the Dollar Tree store adjacent to Southern Market on Florence Boulevard, the clerk asked if I would like to purchase a toy to be "donated" to the Salvation Army Christmas drive.

On the counter sat a bin of small stuffed animals, all made in China and none appearing to be of good quality or design. The clerk pointed to the toys and said that she had sold 40 of these small animals since she clocked in; another clerk had sold 60 during her shift.

While I contribute to needy children through my church and Safeplace, I was curious as to how this worked, especially since she had mentioned the price of $1.00. The clerk went on to explain that for every dollar I gave, Dollar Tree would donate a stuffed animal to the toy drive. I politely declined.

The English language is constantly evolving, and perhaps the word "donate" has taken on new meaning while I wasn't looking. I fail to see how the Dollar Tree is donating anything if Shoals area shoppers are purchasing these animals at retail price. If the Dollar Tree really wanted to donate to this cause, I would suggest they offer the toys at their price, probably around fifty cents.

If readers wish to donate to a worthy cause, may I recommend Safeplace. This organization takes care of battered women and children, not just at the holidays, but year round. Kudos to them.


What's up with this: A Sheffield grand jury has refused to indict the woman accused of shooting and killing her brother while she was intoxicated. Perhaps those wishing to do away with certain family members should move to Sheffield?

No comments:

Post a Comment