Tuesday, August 6, 2019

UNA Police Chief to Utah?


A guest blog:

Is the softer ‘Community Policing’ that Police Chief Kevin Gilliland and/or Vice-President Kimberly Greenway forced upon their department sending a message to would be criminals that it is now easier to break the law in and around UNA than ever before? Maybe it could be that Chief Gilliland is looking for another job (going as far as Utah to interview with another university) that sends a message to his department that he is no longer interested in the safety of our children who attend this college that still employs him.

With officers who now have duties to color, make slime or hand out honey buns to these college students (yes... college students), I can see why breaking the law would be so easy to do and not be stopped or seen. Mass shootings are in the forefront now more makes me nervous to think that my child will be protected by Picasso or Chef Boyardee. These officers were hired to uphold the law and I for one want them to do their job. They are there to protect our children. The meal plan that UNA requires me to purchase each semester should buy plenty of honey buns to feed my child or is it the 4% hike in tuition going to start covering the cost of honey buns?

With 5 stolen vehicles over the summer since graduation in the spring, why should I not be worried about my student parking on campus? Maybe it would be safer to have them park where Florence City Police Officers are actively policing their jurisdiction instead of the campus that I thought at one time was covered with police officers acting like police officers. School isn't even in session and this is a big concern! Now if my child has their vehicle stolen while attending UNA, that criminal will get a bonus parking pass that I also had to pay for so they wouldn't get a ticket if not parked in the correct designated areas.

BUT WAIT - will there even be tickets given out any more because that's something that an actual police officer does on their job as a police officer. I guess Picasso can paint me a ticket or Chef Boyardee can cook me up a nice meal if I get thrown in jail for doing a job the officers are there to do because the safety of my child comes first. Not coloring, not slime and definitely not honey buns.



No comments:

Post a Comment