Saturday, August 26, 2023

Why Do Local Governments Fail to Support Animal Welfare?

 



From a Reader:


I’ve always noticed you include adoptable pets at the bottom of most all of your posting. That is why I’m writing to share my story, with the hope that it will reach a broad audience.

Last week while driving to work I passed what appeared to be three puppies abandoned on the side of the road. I wasn’t able to stop at that time. However, the next day I was on the road, there sat the same puppies. I stopped and was able to catch two. I took them to my vet. There they received an exam, puppy shots, dewormed, flea & tick treatment. All of this I agreed to pay for.

My wife and I spent the next couple days visiting the site hope to catch the third puppy, which we eventually did. We took him to our vet and he was treated. Again, I agreed to cover the cost.

I asked the vet to assist with locating either a rescue group or shelter where the puppies could be placed for adoption. Keeping the puppies myself was not an option. Employees at the vet have been making calls and trying to find a place for the three puppies. As you are aware our local shelters and rescue groups are slammed with abandoned and abused pets. So far the pups are still at the vet’s office.

Now I am being told by the vet that since I picked up the puppies and brought them in, they are now my responsibility. Again, I had no problem covering their initial treatment and even a few days boarding until a place was found for them. However, I can’t afford to keep covering their boarding fees indefinitely at $40 a day. With the initial treatment and boarding, the bill is already several hundred dollars. I guess good intentions don’t come with a discount.

Apparently the old saying, ”No good deed goes unpunished” applies here.

Our local government needs to step up and provide the support our local shelters need. It’s a shame that the shelters have to rely on donation to maintain their operations. The state Veterinary Association needs to stop creating roadblocks to the creation on more low-cost spay and neuter clinics. Until there are severe consequences for abandoning or abusing animals and something is done about the irresponsible breeders the problem will continue.

While I would do it all again to save the pups beside the road, it certainly causes pause to getting involved again.


*****

We're happy to report that all three of our reader's rescues have now been placed. A major part of the problem are county residents who face no consequences of random breeding and abandonment. A lack of caring city governments is a close second to the situation faced in Northwest Alabama. 

Let your county commissions and city councils know you expect better!



No comments:

Post a Comment