Tuesday, July 18, 2023

City of Sheffield: Something Good/Something Evil

 



Today we received two publishing requests almost simultaneously. One was to say "something good" about Sheffield and the other was to relate an opinion that wasn't so good.

First the good: A 14 year veteran of the Sheffield Police Department has been promoted to captain. Chris Tate is pictured below. We hope all our readers will congratulate Capt. Tate:




Now the not so good. The following essay is from Sheffield citizen Mark Daily. He asked that he be credited as the author:

Perhaps I may have overlooked the latest happenings in town, but it's strikingly quiet except for the jolt I experience whenever I encounter that specific pothole on Jackson Highway. There are two major issues looming over Sheffield, and the lack of communication from city hall leaves me uncertain. 

Let's address the unpleasant matter first. Have you recently driven through Barton? Perhaps the odor has improved, but the county's waste problem continues to worsen. In my line of work, when projects veer off course to this extent, we hold regular meetings and ensure accountability updates. Has anyone received any substantial updates regarding the landfill situation? I'm referring to real updates, not recycled trivial information. 

Speaking of projects, when I draft contracts, I usually incorporate performance clauses. In the case of our illustrious road to nowhere, also known as Inspiration Landing, when will we invoke the penalty phase? Money is flowing out, but nothing is coming in. The most recent statement from city hall attempted to justify demolishing the old recycling business building as a catalyst for progress at the landing. The taxpayers footed the bill for its removal. 

Yet, we are now back to complete silence. At some point, taxpayers deserve either action or accountability. City leadership should publicly disclose contracts and cash flow without needing a formal request for information. Eventually, the citizens of Sheffield will have to hold their leaders accountable if they can't ensure the same for these so-called out-of-town investors and speculators. 

It's peculiar that I can't even drive along our main road in Sheffield without risking damage to my vehicle, while a beautifully paved road sits waiting for nature to overtake it with grass. If we were in need of a picturesque road to travel, we should have considered investing in our existing infrastructure. If we wish to attribute our missteps to past leadership, so be it. However, the current administration must eventually take charge and guide us towards success. It could begin with a public announcement detailing the true state of affairs.

*****

This beautiful girl is Kate. Her breed info simply says that she's a "dog." Who woulda thunk it? She's around one year old and seeking her new home. You can see Kate at the shelter on Roberson Road just off Chisholm in Florence:


8 comments:

  1. I've advocated for an audit of the City's finances. Perhaps it's time to discuss a recall of the Mayor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have yet to see Mark Daily, or any of you oft opinionated folks (including the anonymous ones), at a single City Council meeting. You have something to complain about? Let's hear it where it matters.

    1st and 3rd Monday, 5:00pm @ City Hall. See you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @JH1961 Did you know there is one in progress? Of course you didn't. Perhaps if you would ever grace the City with your opinions in person, we could all benefit from the magnificence of your 'ideas' to change things for the better. See you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work over an hour away from Sheffield and rarely get back into town before 5:30. But you didn't know that, did you? Of course not...

      Delete
    2. Actually I do know this; Decatur. I was informed of such by Shoalanda. So?

      Delete
  4. The Alabama Legislature recently passed the Municipal Audit Clarification Act (HB256) which states that cities with expenditures of $300k or more are required to conduct an audit annually; for cities with expenditures of less than $300k, biannually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's begin by addressing the matter of an audit as per the Municipal Audit Clarification Act. This act primarily focuses on auditing the municipality for malfeasance rather than lack of wisdom. For instance, although there is no legal requirement for a performance clause, it is commonly included to ensure accountability for achieving desired outcomes. I have full confidence that the audit will reveal no significant instances of illegal activities.

    Moving on to the issue of information flow, it appears that positive news is readily shared, but there is a conspicuous silence when such news fails to materialize. As someone who recently relocated to Sheffield and works remotely, with frequent global travel, I am particularly interested in staying informed. Therefore, I urge for regular communications. I mistakenly assumed that this request would be understood as a call for additional open and informative public information meetings.

    Being a citizen of this city and having started my life many years ago in our esteemed hospital, I am exercising my First Amendment rights by expressing my opinion. I deliberately chose this forum to make it public rather than confining it to my social media circle. My advice to the leadership is to attentively listen to the taxpayers because they are also the voters. The citizens are eager for tangible actions rather than mere empty promises.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the entirety of your comments, Mr. Daily. As well, I share your frustrations regarding our city. With me being the lone unelected resident in attendance at these meetings, I'm certain you can share mine. I understand you're a man of considerable wisdom and I look forward to us inevitably crossing paths.

    ReplyDelete